Lake Mulwala was built in the late 1930s when the Murray was
dammed at the Yarrawonga Weir as part of the Murray-Darling
Irrigation Scheme. The Mulwala Canal is one of the longest
irrigation channels in the Southern Hemisphere.
The reservoir covers 6000 ha
and is a popular tourist attraction. Picnicking at the
foreshore parks, birdwatching, fishing, sailboarding,
waterskiing, swimming, canoeing, sailing, boating and
guided paddle-boat cruises are all popular on the lake.
Pelican Island is a breeding ground for pelicans and
there are several ibis rookeries. Thousands of partially
submerged trees poke out from the waterline (apparently
to stop waves building).
Two paddlesteamers operate on
the lake and along the Murray. They are the Lady Murray
(tel: 03 5744 2005) and the Paradise Queen, tel: (03)
5744 1843. Bookings can be made through the information
Phil Smith's Ski Rides hires
out yachts, canoes, fishing boats, air chairs, kneeboards
and ski equipment and he takes people waterskiing, tube
riding and paragliding. There are also ski lessons,
tel: (0419) 211 122.
The Mulwala Water Ski Park and
Club in Melbourne St offers excellent facilities, ski
lessons and rides, tel: (03) 5744 1515.
There are boat ramps and some
fine foreshore parks adjacent the roads which hug the
southern foreshore in Yarrawonga - Hunt St, Bank St
(which has a swimming pool and waterslide) and River
Rd. There is another pool, waterslide and boat ramp
at the end of Inglis St in Mulwala.
Linley Park Animal Farm
Linley Park Animal Farm has both native and exotic species,
including emus, kangaroos, water buffaloes, donkeys,
wombats, native parrots and waterbirds. There are rides
on a farm trailer behind a motor bike, and, in season,
sheep-shearing demonstrations. There is an emphasis
on opportunities for the kids to bottle-feed baby and
farm animals and sheep dogs at work. It is possible
to purchase baby guinea pigs, ducks and chickens. the
owners Pan and Rob Donaldson, do a fantastic bush tucker
pan sizzle at lunch time and Pam's tomato relish is,
according to one enthusiastic patron, 'to die for'.
The farm is at the north-eastern edge of town, at the
corner of the Corowa Rd and Bull Plains Rd, tel: (03)
Virtually opposite is Kyffin Reserve, a quiet and popular
area for picnickers and walkers by the lake shore. There
is an Aboriginal canoe tree on the eastern side of the
The Pioneer Museum at 151 Melbourne St has local memorabilia
including photographs, agricultural machinery, early
forms of transport, a display relating to sports and
hobbies and items from the Mulwala station woolshed
(1860s). There is also a temporary display of toys from
the pre-television era. It is open from 1.30 a.m. to
5.00 p.m. from Wednesday to Sunday and on school and
public holidays, tel: (03) 5744 1402.